According to a review published by the Cochrane Library, only half of patients take their medication as prescribed. The other half take their medication improperly or stop taking it altogether. Not only is this costing both patients and providers needless expense, it is also costing patients their health.
So what can be done?
According to a study published in the American Journal of Managed Care, EHR Intelligence, EHRs are being used to help patients adhere to their medication instructions.
EHRs (Electronic Health Record) contain a reminder system known as PROMPT. Along with the ability to remind patients of upcoming appointments, PROMPT can also be used to remind patients when to take their medications and when to get them refilled.
For the study, researchers followed patients over 40 with diabetes and/or cardiovascular disease. The patients were divided into three groups:
- Patients receiving normal instructions and education regarding their medications from their physician/pharmacist
- Patients receiving automated calls when they were due or overdue for a refill
- Patients who received “enhanced” reminders, including automated calls with the addition of personalized letters, texts, etc.
According to the study, researchers found that when it came to ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers, adherence increased by:
- 1.6 percentage points among patients who received automated reminders
- 3.7 percentage points among patients who received enhanced reminders
Additionally, when it came to statins, adherence increased:
- About 2.2 percentage points among patients who received automated reminders
- 3 percentage points among those who received enhanced reminders
Researchers also conducted follow-up interviews with 49 participants, finding that:
- 70% appreciated receiving a reminder call
- About 60% found the calls reminded them to check on the status of their medications
Physician dispensing works in tandem with EHRs, keeping all aspects of the patient’s care within the clinic and helping patients save money and get better faster.
Northwind Pharmaceuticals is your partner when it comes to increasing medication adherence through integrating in-house dispensing with your EHR program. We offer a complete physician dispensing solution. Contact us today to learn how our solutions can lead to increased patient satisfaction.